Thursday, September 13, 2007

Uluru - Ayer's Rock




Here it is, the Big Rock. I flew 3 and half hours and rode for about 500km in a bus to get here. The sunrises and sunsets are as advertised, especially the sunset - which gives it the distinct red glow. Otherwise, it was my least favorite feature and walk. That being said, I chickened out of climbing up the rock. The picture you see is as far as I got before going back. Now, it is considered highly offensive to aboriginals to climb and I was never comfortable with that, but I backed off because I was scared of falling off. I never should have stopped to think about it, I know better. I could have used the kind of motivation my siblings would have provided to head up the chain. I am sure it was spectacular, but I had a bad feeling. This is the third thing I have not done since leaving home - the first being I did not jump in the glacier pool in NZ and skipped one open ocean race due to what looked like big surf. Honestly, the one that still bothers me is the open ocean swim. I have never been particularly excited about rock climbing, but this was one long smooth piece of rock with a chain to hang onto. Anyway, the guide poked a little fun at me and I had to suffer through the incredibly boring walk around Uluru, but it doesn't bother me.....mostly. Another place worth visiting though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home