Another long awaited post


I am guessing by this point I have chased off my already limited following on the blog with my month lag between postings. However, I am going to give this one another go, and I should have some good stuff as I have begun booking trips out of Sydney as well as tickets to several rugby and aussie rules football matches coming up.
First, an explanation of the photos - The group on the left is the MIG - Macquarie Infrastructure Group - Finance Team celebrating the completion of mid-year reporting. An excellent group and a fun evening. For those back home, MIG is the company that has purchased rights to the Chicago Skyway and Indiana Toll Road. Among other things, seem to disagree with the usefulness of the Skyway McDonalds. Obviously they have never wanted to waste an hour of would be tailgate time at ND in order to wait at what is the slowest McDonalds ever due to friends who stayed out overly late the previous night.
The second photo is the Queen Mary 2 - this is the biggest cruise ship ever. It is massive. I think it was something like 33 odd stories tall, but I haven't bothered to confirm it.
Other than that, I have not been carrying my camera enough.
So, on to an update on what's new (or not) in my half of the world. the weather has remained great, but with a little more rain, so I have still been going to the beach 2-3 times a week. However, the time change means the coming of winter here so it is getting dark much earlier. My yearlong summer is coming to an end here soon. People are telling me how cold it gets here, and I am not all that nervous since they have been quoting temperatures between 50-60 degrees, but we shall see.
I have decided to extend my stay in Oz until mid-September. I have obtained another visa, this one sponsored by Macquarie. I will be working for a different fund in a more senior role until then. At that point, it is my intention to continue my travels. Needless to say things are good here, otherwise I would not be sticking around longer. I am also planning some trips in Australia before that point, with the first being to Adelaide for Easter weekend, including a Wolfmother concert (Aussie rock band). I will wait to give more updates on those until I actually head out on those trips.
My free time has mostly gone to hanging out with my housemates/friends, doing various projects, services for the young adult group at the parish I have been going to, reading, and as mentioned above, the beach. I have also participated in a couple open ocean swims/races, including a 2.7 kilometer one from Palm Beach to Whale Beach. Great fun. I skipped out on the next race I intended to participate in and was lucky because the swimmers ran into a school of blue bottle jellyfish resulting in about 100 people getting pulled out of the water and the cancellation of the race.
Another random Australian observation - Money: Australia has $1 and $2 coins, and then the bills - 5, 10, 20, 50, 100 all have different colours and get this, noticeably different sizes - the larger the amount the larger the bill.
Another random thing - I made quesadillas this week and no one here had ever heard of them. I can't believe I just wrote about quesadillas, no one is going to read this anymore. I will just start making up better stories........

7 Comments:
Quesadillas.... delicious. I know what I'm having for dinner tonight now. Thanks for that.
Mostly, I just wanted to be the first to comment on this as I haven't commented on one of these in a while.
Dave and I just got back from Mexico, which was great. I'm sure we will share more stories later, but I just wanted to confirm that there are still blog checkers. Later.
No worries about the infrequent postings. Honestly, I forget to check but about every 2 months anyways. It's great to hear you're doing fine. I just got back from my 2nd spring training trip to work w/ the Brewers. Obviously it is paying off. Sheets pitched a complete game 2 hitter to keep us on track for a 162 win season. Unfortunately for the Cards, they are awful and better get used to looking up to the Brewers at the top of the division :)
Next meal to introduce to the Aussies = Horseshoe.
Jeremy
Wow! a blog report! Dont tell me that you are too busy working to record your adventures? You have got to be the hardest working backpacker that I have ever heard of. Go do something crazy... Like make enchilladas.
Ah quesadillas...look at all the things the US (and Mexico...and probably Canada) has to offer.
Your "backpacking" has slowed to a temporary relocation or perhaps a rotation, at best. By September, I think you'll be in the full on "moved" stage. Jk. Hope you are having fun and by the lack of updates, I'll assume you are.
Things are going well and the baby is getting bigger everyday. Exciting stuff.
Interesting Eric fact: I haven't watched or listened to more than 5 cumulative minutes of sports since the Bears fell apart. Amazing huh?
~e
Hey there Kev,
I do check your blog once in awhile. I remember the days when my taveling adventures got Jim interested ( at least that's what he told me)... anyway I'm glad it's in the family blood... to "check things out".... hope you're doing okay and still having some fun!! In about 2 weeks I expect you'll come up with a way to celebrate your birthday in fashion... right?
take care, and let us know how you are...
Peg
KBo! It's been a while, but I just wanted you to know that Spo and I still check in to see how things are going for you out there in Oz. No news to report on this side of the world, but we look forward to hearing more updates - quesadillas and all :) Take care, buddy!
I'm starting to get worried you're not coming back to us :(
Love
Rachel
Post a Comment
<< Home