Monday, December 10, 2007

Hiroshima - a beautiful city and also, A Memorial of August 6, 1945





First and foremost, i will say i wish i had given myself more time to see hiroshima, because it looks like an interesting city, but all i really had time to see was what i came to see. Ground zero and the memorial peace park and museum. The museum is the building beyond the pond, and the skeletal building to the right is ground zero. the A-bomb detonated 600 meters above it at 8:15 AM. I wont go into details, but the museum is well put together and it an emotional visit, as expected. I let with tears in my eyes, and certainly very glad I went.
The crane is a symbol of peace that began with one particular girl who made 1000 oragami cranes while in the hospital. She had developed lukemia some years after the bomb detonation and legend has it, if 1000 cranes are folded, then a wish will be granted. She wished to get healthy, but it was not so. Her story did generate a great deal of awareness, however. This one was especially there for the christmas lights.

Finally, the flame, as far as I understand it (though this is word of mouth and not confirmed) is going to be maintained until all nucleur weapons are disarmed. I have been told it is flame that has been kept burning from the nucleur detonation, but I do not know if that is true.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home